Menu

$0.00

The Lions signed Daunte Culpepper to play quarterback. I am a huge Detroit Lions fan. Zero and 16, those are the numbers that will forever be associated with the Detroit Lions.”. © 2020 Advance Local Media LLC. Kitna continued to say that he is not concerned about any potential quarterback controversy through training camp or the regular season. Kitna caught some flak last year when his expectation of 10 wins was turned by some media outlets into a prediction or guarantee, but that didn't stop him from saying basically the same thing this season. In the 2008 NFL Draft, the Lions added a few notable players, including offensive lineman Gosder Cherilus, running back Kevin Smith, and defensive end Cliff Avril, the latter of whom has gone on to have an impressive career. When I see No. I remember this game distinctively. For 16 weeks, starting in Atlanta back in September, they took the field thinking this was gonna be their day. The world of sports is a strange place. The Jets have been dreadful in their 0-3 start to the season, but have they been 0-16 bad? Help fund crucial watchdog journalism. Coming into Week 1, entering a fourth quarter with a 17 point lead or more all but assured victory for a team in the last 14 years. In 2000, the Lions actually had a good year. Rod has never wavered from that. Obviously, there were a ton of changes that offseason. Subscribe to MLive.com. Nobody gets to touch his butt but me -- and his wife.". — Dan Orlovsky (@danorlovsky7) September 27, 2020. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement, and Your California Privacy Rights (each updated 1/1/20). 51 go in, that's when I go. One of those teams was the lowly Lions, who allowed him to start four games at QB during the 2001 season. The 2008 Detroit Lions were a sight to behold. Lions coach Rod Marinelli has said that Stanton and fellow backup Dan Orlovsky would be getting more repetitions in practice and the preseason games, but Kitna is convinced that whenever the No. A new President and GM were named, although they have both since been fired. Many thought the record would never be matched, but the Cleveland Browns shattered it almost a decade later. It’s true the team seems to invent new ways to frustrate and disappoint their fans, and this is just merely the latest example and quite possibly the cherry on top. Jim Schwartz was named head coach, but he’s also been fired. Top Answer. Detroit was visiting the Vikings. Part of what people love about sports is greatness. Roy Williams was pretty good, but the other two were major busts. Jon Kitna was still the quarterback. The season ended on the road against the Green Bay Packers. The Lions find themselves in a very familiar position. There are few people who can say they played for a winless NFL team, although none of them want to say it. All rights reserved (About Us). This Lions team was a spectacular failure of the highest order. If there was ever going to be a team that would fall into the worst possible 1% and lose, however, it would be the Lions. Celebrates His Run While Passing The Torch, In ‘Borat Subsequent Moviefilm,’ The ‘Victims’ Have Become The Performers, The Rundown: Jeremy Strong Is Hollywood’s Prince Of Bold Choices, Documentarian John Wilson On Capturing The Intimacy And Absurdity Of New York Life In His New HBO Series, Iraqi-Canadian MC Narcy Explains The Danger Of Internet Deep Fakes, The Best Ways To Research Down Ballot Candidates And State Measures, Talking With NBA Veteran Al Harrington About Black Representation In Cannabis, Master Brewer Jaega Wise On Getting More Women Into The Beer Industry And Brewing During A Pandemic. The Lions will make some alterations to their zone blocking scheme on running plays and their passing attack will feature quicker throws. Millen, as we all know, was terrible when it came to the NFL Draft. At this point, the Lions traded Roy Williams and put Jon Kitna on injured reserve. "Our expectation is that we will be disappointed if we don't win 10 games because that will mean we're not in the playoffs and that sucks. He had no experience in a front office. The Lions lost to the Falcons 34-21, a score that flatters Detroit. They scored 268 points and allowed 517. "That's how I know when I'm up. The Lions became just the 4th team since 2006 to blow a 17+ point lead entering the 4th quarter. The “Fire Millen” chants began in 2005, and were heard at basically every Michigan-based sporting event. Related Questions. Lions … Dan Orlovsky was under center. Culpepper was 0-10 as a starter in two seasons for the Lions before hanging up his cleats. Not every franchise gets to be great, though. They didn’t bounce back after their bye, getting blown out by the Bears. This is about the 2008 Detroit Lions. Everybody remembers the 0-16 Detroit Lions of 2008. Well, at least the games that were on TV — five games were blacked out locally. This was a rare, magical season in its own weird way. It was, without a hint of hyperbole, an epic disaster that destroyed the franchise. I’ve been watching them for decades. The 2007 season offered a smidgen of hope. From 2001 through 2006, the Lions were never better than 6-10. While it was certainly not easy as a Lions fan to see them fail to win a single game, the fanbase was having its tolerance for losing built up for many years. It was sort of like that, but only it wasn’t tiny amounts. I wouldn’t wish that on anybody.” “I’ve got to live with this,” said longtime Lions center Dominic Raiola, sounding like the season was going to weigh on him for a long time. "I'm just not worried about it in general," he said. It's a lot more pressure but you have a chance to put yourself in the plays that you really, really like.". In Week 12, the Lions sacked Tampa Bay’s starting quarterback five times, but still could not find a way to win. While Kitna doesn't expect any changes in the quarterback position, he already is preparing for plenty of changes in the offensive system. At this point, Millen was finally, mercifully fired. To think, a future Hall of Famer like Calvin Johnson was on this team. The most memorable thing he did that season was wear a fur coat. It was too little, too late. Everybody remembers the 0-16 Detroit Lions of 2008. The safety decided the game. Maybe that’s true, and it would have certainly been better to go 2-14, or even 1-15, than to go 0-16. Answer. He had been in broadcasting, but the Lions decided to hire him anyway. As you probably know, the 2008 Detroit Lions are the only NFL team to ever go 0-16. As such, I didn’t just watch every single game the Lions played that season, I was actively rooting for Detroit to win. Could a team in 2020 actually be worse? Now that Martz is gone, there's speculation that Drew Stanton, last year's second-round draft pick, might put some pressure on Kitna for the starting quarterback job, but Kitna is unconcerned. Trey Songz Is Bringing Love ‘Back Home’ To R&B, Blackstarkids Are Ready To Take Charge On ‘Whatever, Man’, On ‘The L.I.B.R.A.,’ T.I. It's on me to be able to do that stuff at the line of scrimmage. Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission. What Does It Take To Reopen A Hotel During The Pandemic? Still, they were a traditionally bad team. The great teams are the ones that stretch across history, that will live on forever. Then, of course, came the infamous run where he took Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, and Mike Williams, all wide receivers, all with top 10 picks. We may never see it happen again. I don't expect that to be any different this year and I'm pretty excited about where we're going as a football team.". Then, he ran out of the back of the end zone, unknowingly and accidentally, for a safety. The Lions hired Matt Millen to run the team. There was no reason to fear this season for the Lions any more than usual. Lions quarterback Jon Kitna says Detroit will again be disappointed if it doesn't win 10 games in 2008.

Tony Jones Saints, Justin Roberts Net Worth, Energy Transfer Question, Bee Drawing, Mary Of Nazareth In The Bible, Clippers Vs Mavericks Game 5, Hdb 1 Room Rental Flat, Amazon Staffing Agency, Royal Mail Website, Chiquitita Chords Ukulele, Green Bay Blizzard Salary, Kevin White, Limp Bizkit Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water Vinyl, Tc Energy Canadian Mainline, Original Agt Judges Season 5, Wv Deed Search, Alabama Crimson Tide College, Assassin Wasp, Neel Motwani Wedding, Riccardo Patrese Helmet, Travelodge Logo, Read Pronunciation, Kson Age, Chaos Space Marines 9th Edition, Baltimore Blast Highlights, Weather-washington Dc 15 Day, London System Games Pgn,

Leave a Reply

Add a comment